Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bad Reviews

My favorite website of late is called Quora, and I spend a lot of time there answering question and reading spectacular answers by experts on subjects I'm curious about.


Today I saw this question: How do screenwriters feel about bad reviews, in particular claims of formulaic writing? The questioner continued: For example, this week's The New Yorker rips apart Bad Teacher("Academic Questions," July 4, 2011) and even says that one scene was lifted from Cool Hand Luke.


NOTE: my answer has been revised in light of the flurry of bad reviews for Conan The Barbarian. Read it here:


How do screenwriters feel about bad reviews, in particular claims of formulaic writing?
Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Kike said...

Great article!!

Fredrik Malmberg said...

It was a pleasure to work with Sean on Conan. His article is spot on. The collaborative effort is something we all have to learn to live with, but executives and producers must also revert to "gut feeling" now and then. And make a creative call.

Kike said...

I really want to see a direct REH adaptation by Sean Hood. I have a good feeling about his writing style.

On a different topic I saw again Rambo 4 yesterday. Man, that movie was a lot of fun. I really dont remember how great can be hyperbolic violence in an adventure movie. Now I am anxious to see our beloved cimmerian slaughtering evil foes...